About Me

My photo
Canada
With a B.Ed., M.Ed., and over 10 years of classroom teaching experience, Chantelle has been privileged to observe the fruits of many living philosophies. By continually striving to live the best life possible, Chantelle has been able to overcome many personal challenges in life and enjoys helping others do the same. In 2001, Chantelle stepped into her first yoga class and has been amazed at the ways it has transformed her life. In 2007 she studied under Shri Yogi Hari of the Sivananda lineage and became a certified yoga teacher. She has since earned the E-RYT designation from Yoga Alliance and continues to study under various Indian Master Yogis. In October 2013 launched Prana Yoga & Wellness, offering private/corporate yoga and stress management workshops based on Eastern wisdom. Chantelle frequently appears as a guest speaker and is involved with various community projects and local non-profit organizations. Dedicated to walking her talk, Chantelle is not afraid to do the necessary work to remain happily married and be a healthy role model for her two young daughters.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Remembrance is more than just a day.

Several years back, I was in Kettle Point taking in the sights and sounds of a First Nations pow wow. I stopped by a concession stand to grab a bite to eat, where an elder gentleman served me. I noticed on the hat he was wearing, it said "WW II Veteran".

I looked at the man and said, "Excuse me sir, did you serve in World War II?" He looked me in the eye and said, "Yes, I did". I then responded by extending my hand to him. We shook hands and I said, "I just want to say thank you for risking your life for the rest of us." Taken by surprise, he held my hand and replied while shaking his head, "there were times I didn't think I would make it out alive." I thanked him again and paid him my money. He sat down on a little fold-out chair, took out a handkerchief, dabbed his eyes, gave me a big smile and waved goodbye.

I can only assume how that brief conversation impacted that gentleman. I hope he felt my sincere gratitude and that somehow my words let him know his suffering wasn't done in vain; that somebody noticed his sacrifice  of a 'normal' life.


Since that encounter Remembrance Day has taken on a new meaning for me. It is an annual renewal of my vow to do what I can to create a more peaceful world. I believe every veteran carries the desire for peace deep within their hearts and as a beneficiary to their sacrifice, the least I can do is to let my actions and way of Being suggest that I am eternally grateful and I am honouring them more than once a year.

To all veterans, young and old: 

May I carry the torch lit by the desire of your hearts.
I will not rest until this work is done.
On your behalf, I call upon the younger generations
to move forward and make changes that last.
Let's turn this ship around and get it right.

Love. Peace. Unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment